Course Title: Sexual Trauma: Contextual Treatment Approach
This course will provide participants with an overview of sexual trauma, exploring what trauma is, its’ impact on individuals, and the treatment process. This course will allow participants to assess for sexual trauma in their own clinical experiences. Additionally, participants will be taught how to treat trauma related presentations through the use of both research based information and case example. While an overview of trauma treatment models will be provided, this course focuses on the conceptualization and treatment of sexual trauma via a contextual treatment approach. This course will also address the unique need for therapist self-care when working with the distinctive challenges posed by a trauma presentation.
- Participants will be able to discuss symptom presentations common in individuals with sexual trauma histories.
- Furthermore, participants will be able to differentiate impact by type of trauma.
- Participants will be able to describe a contextual treatment approach for addressing trauma related presentations.
- Participants will be able to describe the core components of trauma focused treatment.
- Participants will be able to describe how to effectively work with trauma patients, in a compassionate yet directive fashion.
- Participants will be able to describe the potential challenges therapists face when working with trauma patients.
Stacey Seibel, PHD, LP is a licensed clinical psychologist who has been working at Park Nicollet’s Sexual Medicine Clinic in St. Louis Park, Minnesota since 2006. She works as part of a multi-disciplinary team of medical and mental health providers where her practice focuses on the evaluation and treatment of trauma and dissociation, sexual compulsivity, sexual dysfunction and LGBT issues.
Dr. Seibel completed a two year APPIC-accredited postdoctoral fellowship through the University of Minnesota Medical School: Program in Human Sexuality/Center for Sexual Health. She earned her PhD from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2005) and her BA from the University of Maryland, College Park (1999). Dr. Seibel has presented at local and national conferences; has taught courses in trauma, psychopathology and human sexuality as an Adjunct professor; and has publications in the fields of trauma and sexual health.