- Differentiate between sex, gender identity, gender expression, gender role, and sexual orientation.
- Discuss the diversity of transgender and gender nonbinary individuals.
- Examine personal bias and perceptions of sex and gender to provide affirming care.
- Describe gender affirming care for adults.
- Discuss sexual orientation and gender identity
- Discuss discrimination, bias, and minority stress.
- Describe WPATH SOC 7 and DSM-5.
- Define cultural competency and humility.
1) Introduction & Overview (10 minutes)
- Arlene Lev, LCSW, CASAC, CST
- Acey Mercer, LMSW
- Learning Objectives
2) Definitions (30 minutes)
- Sex, Gender, Gender Identity, Gender Expression, Gender Roles
- Challenging assumptions of masculinity and femininity
- Transgender, Transsexual, Cisgender, Cissexism, Gender Diverse, Nonbinary, Sexual orientation
3) Affirmative Clinical Treatment (65 minutes)
- What clients are looking for and often find
- Clients seeking services
- Evaluating gender dysphoria
- Issues facing families
4) Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (45 minutes)
- Transgender Emergence model
- Overlap of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Shifting identities
- Relational and intimacy concerns
5) Discrimination & Bias (45 minutes)
- National Transgender Discrimination Survey
- Barriers to care
- Cultivating an affirming atmosphere
- Goals for treatment
- Role of the provider
- Collecting client history
- Family & Advocacy
- Gender Assessment Tools