The Sexual Attitude Reassessment (SAR) is an experiential, group-based process that facilitates participants’ examination of their sexual attitudes, beliefs, values, and practices. This SAR intensive offers the opportunity for participants deepen their understanding and expand their awareness about the intersection of social identity, intimate pleasure, and kink.
Rationale: Sexuality professionals have specialized knowledge of the sexual feelings, thoughts, and behaviors of their clients. In order to work effectively with sexual concerns, they must also ask themselves how they are connected to the client’s interpersonal contexts and social identity.
It is intended that after participating in this SAR, attendees will:
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of personal attitudes, values, feelings and beliefs about an array of sexual and social identities
- Develop greater comfort when addressing and discussing sexual identity topics
- Discuss how their sexual feelings, values, reactions, and beliefs may be impacting their ability to work with multicultural groups in professional settings
- Describe at least two (2) examples of ways intersectionality is relevant to sexuality professions
- Examine the relationship between dominant social narratives and the maintenance of sexual ethics, normalcy, and sexual politics
- Recognize how discomfort with diverse sexual practices may contribute to barriers in the delivery of educational, health, social, and behavioral health services
- Recognize how internalized stereotypes influence our perception of sexual health, wellness, identity, and behaviour
- Clarify the aspects of sexual knowledge and self-awareness that present areas for further professional exploration.