Presented by: Joe Kort, PhD
Recorded workshop available via video on demand
6 CE Hours
Human Sexuality Education
Sex Therapy Education
Clients with sexual abuse histories often come to therapy with questions about their sexual expression and the obstacles they encounter in intimate relationships. They may find themselves engaging in trauma reenactment rather than safe, consensual sex and need a nonjudgmental space to explore what sexual recovery means for them. Even well-trained trauma therapists often lack the language, comfort, and skillset necessary to assist their clients through this process. This workshop will provide concrete strategies to help trauma survivors live more sexually fulfilling lives. You’ll explore:
– List 2 different types of sexual abuse and trauma that can manifest in sexual behaviors
– Explain how clients use sexual behaviors resulting from trauma to experience healthy sexual gratification
– Discuss how clients can differentiate between unhealthy trauma reenactment and healthy play
– List five tools to help clients manage out-of-control sexual behaviors
– Explain five tools to help clients manage out-of-control sexual behaviors
– Discuss countertransference issues that often arise for therapists around clients’ erotic interests, sexual expression, and behaviors in order to avoid negative judgment and the inadvertent shaming clients
AMHTI is approved as a provider of continuing education by numerous national agencies and routinely applies for continuing education credits for professionals from state agencies when needed.
There are many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations that will grant continuing education credit for attendance at AMHTI’s seminars and activities. If you have questions as to whether AMHTI’s continuing education credits will count for your state, please contact us.
The Advanced Mental Health Training Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. AMHTI maintains responsibility for all programs and their content.
The Advanced Mental Health Training Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No.6901. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Advanced Mental Health Training Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Modern Sex Therapy Institutes [1787, 4/30/22-4/30/25], is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit.
AMHTI is an approved provider with the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling. Provider#: 50-11996. AMHTI is an approved provider with the The Florida Certification Board. Provider #5273-A.
AMHTI is an approved provider with the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT). Provider # 07-110-J.